Friday, January 25, 2008

Down with Baby Boomers!

This was originally going to be a comment to Indiana's post a while back about John Edwards. I was going to say that he's a good candidate but you can't deny that his record isn't anywhere near as progressive as his campaign rhetoric. And while his intentions are good and usually right-on-target, it remains to be seen if he actually has what it takes to get anything done.

My original point was going to be that I think all the Democratic presidential candidates are pretty much the same in terms of their policy ideas, with only minor differences that probably wouldn't see the light of day with the barriers any government faces. The main difference between Edwards, Clinton, and Obama is the way they would each approach governing.

And that is why I would probably vote for Obama if I was an American. I won't give all the Cliched reasons, although I probably fall victim to some of them. I do believe, as many have said, that an Obama presidency would be a huge foreign policy victory for the US. But the main somewhat-cliched reason that I'd vote for Obama is this: I'm really, really sick of baby boomers.

I think that today's political climate, the current political coalitions that exist, and what are generally perceived to be the "issues of the day" are all intrinsically linked to the baby boomer generation. The last 4 presidential elections have been about the exact same things. Ridiculous coalitions have formed (e.g. social and economic conservatives) that are nothing more than power alliances. There are issues that are treated as legitimate topics for debate (global warming, gay rights, etc.) in the DEMOCRATIC party that would only have fringe opposition if all the voters were under 40. So what are we waiting for? Baby Boomers have had their turn, and now it's time for them to retire and cash in their social security cheques while their kids figure out how to clean up the mess they left by trying to approach things differently.

It's not that the baby boomer generation didn't accomplish good things. They did, and I'm happy for that. But man, do they love themselves for it or what? Baby Boomers just need to relax.

Also, the Beatles were good, but there was a lot of shit music in the 60's as well. Eat it boomers!!

No comments: