Friday, March 21, 2008

"Frisco"

I won't be writing too much over the next few days because I'm in the Bay Area till Tuesday. We're levaing in a few minutes for Napa and I get to spend the day pretending I'm a wine bigshot. Then we're in downtown SF for the weekend. Anyone have any good suggestions of stuff to do / see around here? This is my first time here with any free time to experience the city. I know that certain contributors to this blog will be jealous that I'm already planning to go here and here and maybe here, but you know, some variety is good too.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Go to the buena vista (near fisherman's wharf) - apparently they introduced the irish coffee to North America. Also, Bouchon is effing amazing if you haven't yet planned all your dinners in Napa. Have fun.

Indiana said...

Sorry, but you absolutely have to go to Le Colonial, the best French Vietnamese food ever and one of the best dining room's on the West Coast. http://www.lecolonialsf.com/home_frame.html

Go here too--Amazing Burmese food: http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/905558/san_francisco_ca/burma_superstar_restaurant.html

I say, skip the whole fisherman's wharf deal--too touristy--and head for the Mission and the Haight are. One of my fave spots in the city, tho, is the panhandle of Golden Gate Park. There's all these cool and different areas with their own niche, like the roller skating/trick ridiculous large bike riding/rollerblading area, the prehistoric-looking garden, and cool trails that lead through strange meadows and stuff. Check it!

J.R. McConvey said...

If it's raining or if you need an art fix, the MoMa is cool. And, of course, you could always try and recreate, shot for shot, the opening credits from Full House.
Also, in Chinatown I bought a pair of Hush Puppies (which I recognize as being kind of lame) for $30, and they're the most comfortable shoes I ever owned.

Mike D. said...

Thanks for the suggestions! About to get on the BART now and we'll be sure to check some of this stuff out. Had a good dinner at "Ad Hoc" yesterday, another one of Thomas Keller's Napa restaurants. Also, we were kinda drunk by 11 AM.