Sunday, March 16, 2008

Dancerific Douche Bags

Check these douches out.

I always love it when Justice's club hits come on ("Do the DANCE/ The way you move is a mystery!") but knew it was pretty shallow stuff. Now I know why. Listen to the interview with the dudes in the group. They seem to represent the same sort of i-want-to-be-famous-so-i'll-do-it-the-easiest-way-instead-of-actually-creating-something-that-merits-fame school of celebrity as the Aussie dude in our banner. Instead of becoming good musicians or writing interesting lyrics or, gasp, having something to say, they just wrote a song using all Michael Jackson lyrics and laid them over samples from their fave songs. This is exactly what you do when you're a teenager alone at home and don't have a car to see friends with; but no one else usually hears that stuff.

Still, it is quite danceable stuff.

2 comments:

Mike D. said...

I dunno, I sense a bit of sarcasm in their quotes. But I can't argue that I approach Justice with great skepticism, particularly because of their high standing amongst the indie-scenester community even though they're a couple of house DJ's. There's something suspicious about that.

But you're right: extremely dancerific stuff. And I've never even danced before. I like that track about "dancing to Gershwin" or whatever.

J.R. McConvey said...

I think you have to take translation into account here, too. It's easy to sound like a douche in a language that's not your own.

That said, anyone who appeals to hipsters as much as they do is definitely suspect. Has anyone ever seen that band Chromeo? Those guys are similar, but theie music eats way more bag. At least the Justice album has some funk.