Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Weirdo Quote Gathering

Okay, so for my comment on Mike's recent post on Huckabee/Romney, I tried searching for some quotes from old movies about the "inepitude" of men and the "silliness" of women, which--in certain decades--were super common in romantic comedies (especially those starring Katherine Hepburn, Rosalind Russell and Doris Day). I was unsuccessful on that front, however, I discovered a world I'd heretofore considered more marginal: that of the internet quote compilation.

There seem literally thousands of sites devoted to collecting quotations from notable people, literature, movies, etc. And all have their own bent. The absolute strangest lists I found were all on about.com (a waste of internet space if you ask me). Check these guys out: "Q. What do others have to say about marital rape?". Yes, what DO others have to say on this topic? A burning question. And a topic we can all relate to.

I'll leave you with my personal (and unsubstantiated) favourite. I wonder what the context was. I guess you had to be there.

"But if you can't rape your wife, who can you rape?"
--Senator Bob Wilson, Democrat, California, 1979

No comments: