Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Second Degree?

Trial # 1 in the Pickton case is over, with the maximum sentence of life with the possibility of parole after 25 years (though he almost certainly will be designated a dangerous offender and never be released). Here is my question though.... how could the jury possibly have decided on second degree murder? The difference between first and second degree murder is that the former is premeditated. Try as I might, I can't imagine a scenario under which a person can, without premeditation, end up murdering six women at different times. WTF? Any help here? Someone lay it out for me....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been following the details of the trial--altogether to bleah for me--but could they have determined second degree murder because the prostitutes were randoms and could have been anyone?

smokestack said...

If that is how the jury interpreted the meaning of premeditation, then it was an incorrect interpretation of the law. If someone plans to pick up a prostitute and murder her, it is still premeditated even if that person does not know the exact person that it will be before hand. At any rate, once he picked them up and brought them to the farm, they were no longer random.

Indiana said...

Contrary to popular belief, I am not the speaking piece for the jurors of the Picton trials so I do not know if that is how they interpreted the meaning of premeditation, thank you very much.

I'm sure the answer is out there, ready for the picking.

smokestack said...

i think you may be right as to how they interpreted premeditation. i was just commenting that if that was their interpretation, they were wrong.