Tuesday, December 18, 2007

This guy makes Mitt Romney look so normal...

What Really Matters, according to Mike Huckabee.

Contrast that with Romney on Meet The Press this weekend insisting that he is running for PRESIDENT, not "pastor in chief". Of course it's all politically motivated (as is everything with Romney), but when it comes to Republicans, I think we're all safer with the "politically-caculating" kind than the "crazy evangelical who doesn't give a fuck" kind.

Ironically, Mitt's Mormonism will (in my opinion) make him less likely to do anything too crazy if elected because he knows that most people think he's already crazy enough for believing Jesus is coming to Missouri sometime soon. (It's too bad Missouri's a guaranteed red state, because if he won the nomination then it would be the best campaign stop ever.)

And I'm not even going to mention This.

One more thing: Why are all the pundits saying that when Huckabee flames out (which I really hope won't happen but probably will), Thompson will be the one who may get the all-important last minute rise in the polls? FRED THOMPSON? Are you kidding me?!? I'm mystified as to why John McCain hasn't made a full comeback yet.

Aahhhhh, Republicans. I love them so much.

1 comment:

Indiana said...

First of all, while I hate to throw kudos toward weirdos like Huckabee, I gotta say that that is one smart commercial. I don't think that you Canadians (by "you" I mean BW and MD) understand the American mentality. You can call us, and our candidates, crazy all day long, but that doesn't change the fact that Iowans, South Carolians and even New Hamshirites (to whom the commercial was directed) are god-fearing people.

I was just listening to a report today about how few people in Iowa are actually planning on participating in the Iowa caucus; something like 10% of the state's eligible voters. And do you know what they're saying, the common man and woman of the state to which the media has given so much attention, as to be able to literally make or break a candidate (think Howard Dean), they are saying that, number one, God (capital "G") needs to be put in a more prominent role in a'Merika. (Yes, that's right, they still don't have enough religion in their lives.) They are saying, number two, that they don't want to get involved in all these "politics" so they're not keen to participate in this most holy of democratic traditions (tho, to be fair the primary season is absolutely ridiculous to the point of being a circus). And they're saying, number three, that Hillary Clinton's gender is an issue, "for better or worse." (Though I did like the fact that a female diner worker said that she thought Clinton would probably be the most well prepared for the job because inevitably a wife must know everything about her husband's job because she's always telling him how to do it...haha! I love "jokes" of convention. Makes me feel like I'm in one of those old movies that I love where women say things like "men are like doorknobs; they only work when you turn the handle" or imply that their husbands don't really know anything about anything.

(Tangent: As opposed to when men says things like, "I know this is painful for the ladies to hear, but if you get married, you have accepted the headship of a man, your husband. Christ is the head of the household and the husband is the head of the wife, and that's the way it is, period." --Pat Robertson, 700 Club)

(Then again, here's another good quote--though I can't find any proper news sources to substantiate it, only rightwing blogs and such: "I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president" --Hillary Clinton, responding to questions regarding the possible release of Whitewater documents.)

Anyway, my main point is that, like it or not, for much of the U.S., the secularists movement and women's lib are still thought of as "Big City" heathenism, to an extent.

I think Huckabee and Romney know how to play that angle. Unfortunately for them, they seem to believe all these conventions themselves--if they didn't, they wouldn't be anti-women's choice, which is both an issue of religion and of women's rights (Parenthetical: I can't believe women still aren't considered equal to men in much of the world, including my muther country). Unfortunately for all of us, so do a lot of other people.