Thursday, May 15, 2008

Professional Trend "Forecasters"

I freaking hate these people.

They are why, when I (or any of my other creative friends) purposely wear something that is not trendy, it ends up becoming saturated in "mainstream-ity-ness" (trend spot THAT, bitches). Sucks. Happened with bandit-style bandannas in NYC when I was there; I was wearing that shit mismatched with prettiness back in 2001. Same with wearing scarves for belts. I was just in a store in North Vancouver that had a whole shelf of "scarf belts" and "kimono-style belts". And you can't walk a block these days without snotting on someones neck hanky... sucks. It feels like stealing. That's why my style has progressively become more simple--I'm sick of getting ripped off. Especially because "creative style" is about expressing yourself and interpreting your environment and culture. And as soon as it become trendy to do that, the whole thing gets diluted and gross.

In Vancouver, "quirky" is in now. Stealing, that's what I call it. Stealing other people's personality and selling it (the style, the trend mentality, the sense of belonging) to people who've had the creativity beaten out of them.

And the thing about trend forecasters is that when they see me and my friends walking down the street in our me-inspired outfits, they report back to head office and get the factory warmed up to start churning out thousands of whatever it is. THEN it becomes a trend. So it's not so much trend "forecasting" as stealing and then trend "inciting."

Bastards!

No comments: