Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Who will Edwards endorse?

Any guesses? Conventional wisdom would say Obama, but it's starting to look like he may actually decide on Clinton.

If this happens, my guess is that it would almost certainly be in exchange for the Attorney General position or something similar. Which would make Edwards lose a lot of street-cred in my eyes. Granted he probably has legitimate concerns about both candidates, but I don't think there's any question that Obama has more progressive policy positions on the issues that are important to Edwards, like poverty, the influence of lobbyists, etc. Sure Clinton has a better health care plan, it's not like Edwards was all up-in-arms about that during the campaign.

So we'll wait and see, I suppose...he can always stay neutral. But if Edwards endorses Clinton, I will declare on this blog that John Edwards is a phony and proceed to have an awkward visit next week with Brad & Hilary!

3 comments:

Indiana said...

I dont think it would be a matter of trading his endorsement for a AG appointment. No matter the scenario, Edwards will have a place in whatever Dem administration is in power. Right now he's being courted by both Clinton and Obama; and undoubtedly, he'll be well paid for his endorsement. He knows this, they know this. So I dont think he even needs to make the yucky choice to sell out or not.

I think he'll endorse Clinton because one of the main themes of his campaign was gettin sh*t done, and I think she's the most likely candidate to be effective in getting legislation passed via all avenues. I think Obama--no matter the hype--would be much less successful in getting anything through the rigours of Washington. This is not to say he wouldn't serve another purpose--but I think the scope of his presidency would look quite different from Clinton's.

smokestack said...

i vote for no endorsement. he maintains more influence in the party in the long term if he doesn't align himself with a particular faction.

Mike D. said...

I agree with ole' smokestack...his best bet is to make no endorsement, particularly for as long as there's no clear frontrunner. I think it'll be a stretch for him to explain a Clinton endorsement. Like I said, the issues that Edwards wanted at the forefront of his campaign are undeniably more aligned with Obama's priorities than Clinton's. The whole "getting it done" thing is more of just a Clinton campaign talking point......I'm pretty sure every candidate, republican or democrat, would do their best to push their agenda once they're in office. I'd be more worried about Obama if he was against a republican congress, but that almost certainly won't be the case.